About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mom to one adorable, headstrong princess and I LOVE being CRAFTY!!

Monday, February 10, 2014

Victorian Jacket and Skirt

Hi there! I have a new found love for sewing period costumes after realizing that patterns aren't as scary as they look! I started this blog to share my designs and keep track of my projects. Hopefully it will inspire others as well!

My very first project was a skirt and jacket set using Simplicity pattern 2207.
Being a beginner, I wasn't aware of the big difference in sizes from store bought dresses to patterns (dumb I know, measurements are right there on the back) so I made it much smaller than it should have been and was not able to button the jacket so I decided to leave it open and pair it with a shirt underneath. All in all it turned out ok for my first pattern use. 

I started making the bustle but the shape of it wasn't as nice as it was in the photo so I scrapped it. 

Here's a photo of my whole outfit.

I found a high neck, button up shirt and altered it to make it closer to my size. I also wore some reproduction, Victorian style lace up boots with it along with a necklace I already had. I was in a time crunch preparing for Dickens Fair so if I would have had more time I could have made a hat and added more trim or decorations, heck maybe even adding buttons to the jacket (which clearly I didn't have time for) but all in all it worked out well for being my first ever, from scratch set made in less than a week. 

Eventually I would like to make a striped bustle and a striped corset top for underneath the jacket. 
Sorry for the bad photos, I didn't take many during the process of it with such a short deadline.

Postings will be in multiples until I get caught up so more to come! 
Thanks for visiting! 
Kim



No comments:

Post a Comment